First Day at Sea and Cabo

I spent most of yesterday lazing in the sun, reading, and taking a nap. It seemed that half the ship was by the pool,


but I found an undiscovered sunning area. Although it had a shallow pool, the water was cold, so it stayed quiet.


The other half of the ship was partying. If Elation had one more bar I think it would sink. Even the kids were having a blast. Camp Carnival was in full swing and every once in a while a gaggle of little ones would march by in paper hats.


The Galleria sells everything from diamond necklaces to Dramamine, and is always very busy. There seems to be only one woman to take items at the register, and since she is many times busy spraying perfume on some woman’s wrist, there is a wait to pay and go. She’s from Russia, and gave me a big smile when I thanked her in Russian. Then she said some long phrase in Russian. I had no idea what she said, but I smiled and nodded my head. She probably said, “You are an idiot, aren’t you?”

As expected, Formal Night was interesting. The men wore everything from a sport shirt, to sport jackets, up to ties and suits, and peaking at a scattering of tuxedos, but the women! The women were all beautifully dressed. Even if a man wore a polo shirt, the accompanying woman wore lovely evening wear. Oh yes, there was one man in a white dinner jacket. Me. Several people asked me to point them to their table.

There must have been at least a dozen areas set up to take souvenir photos. All were staged with backdrops and all areas had lines. It was a good looking crowd.

Last night the cabin was chilly. There is only one way to adjust the temperature and that is a vent in the ceiling. Only very cold air comes in; the adjustment being a little or a lot. There is no heat. It was a three duvet night.

There is a single self-service laundry on Elation that I have not investigated, but the ship did come up with a great one day promotion. A laundry bag was dropped off in each cabin. As much as you can jam into the bag will be washed, dried, folded and returned by 7 PM.

We approached Cabo in dense fog, but as we made the turn towards the anchorage area, the fog lifted, and there was Cabo San Lucas warming in the sun. My memories of Cabo go back to when there were dirt roads and little cafes. Today, it’s condominiums, multi million dollar houses clinging to the mountain, shopping malls, diamond outlets, and pharmacies.


Last night I told my tablemates that I was taking the pharmacy tour today. One said she didn’t see that in the tour brochure. Oh well.

Buying inexpensive drugs in Cabo is probably one of the top tourist pastimes. But be careful. Actually, Mexican law forbids buying drugs without a prescription from a Mexican doctor. Most pharmacies have an MD office close by. It’s $25 for a visit and the script. No one pays attention to this law, but if the Federales feel like it, they can haul you off to El Slammer, and you’ll have to bail yourself out if you want to make the ship’s sailing.

Actually, I signed up for the Rhino tour. The Rhino is a Yamaha mini jeep that the Japanese put on the market to somehow get back at Americans.

The ship to shore service from Elation was fairly smooth, the only real hitch was at the Cabo dock, where we disembarked the tender. We had to walk up a ramp from the pier to the main thoroughfare. The ramp was only wide enough for two abreast. At the top of the ramp was a ship’s photographer, who stopped each twosome and took a photo. It was a slow go, and since we had been in lines most of the morning, kind of tough to muster the required grin.

Eleven of us piled into a van and traveled about 12 miles north of town. It was fascinating to see the luxury of the tourist area shift into the hardscrabble of the people who did the work. The landscape then changed to cactus and otherwise desolate desert. A turn down a dusty dirt road for about a half mile, and we were at “the ranch”. It is called a ranch because it has horses, but other than a few out buildings, not much was there.


We got our instructions, donned helmet and goggles, and with bandana covering nostrils and mouth, boarded our Rhinos for an hour and a half expedition. The safety plaque on the dashboard said, in capital letters, “Misuse will cause injury and death”. Rojillo, our guide, showed us how to survive if we turned over.



Off we went, single file, following Rojillo over a bumpy dirt trail that went around sharp curves, up steep hills, down steep slopes, and over BUMPS. It was bumpy enough in places to raise me far enough off the seat that the seat belt engaged and pulled me back. We passed a rattlesnake, a cow, some roadrunners, and some mountain goats. Unfortunately, I did not see any of them, because, for some reason, being solo translated into being last in line. Think of the cowboys driving the herd, and the dust eaten by the cowboy in the rear. At times, being impossible to see the Jeep in front of me, I only had a dirt cloud to follow.



It was an adventure. I would not do it again, but I’m glad I had the experience. A bit of advice, if you have anything loose inside you, do not make this trip. One guy climbed out of his Rhino at the end of the trail and said, “They should have told us to wear a cup.”

I passed on visiting town, although I thought about getting pain killers at a pharmacy, and went back to the ship. We sailed at 4 PM.


One Response to “First Day at Sea and Cabo”

  1. Michael Edwards Says:

    Great! Very funny and beautiful pictures! Wish I were there! But it feels like we went along!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: